December 8, 2013

Monday Mischief: What Rita is Reading

I was sitting out in the backyard this weekend with my book. (Sorry... a little mischief there... I know many of you could not sit out in your backyards at the moment for more than about 2 minutes without freezing...). Anyway, I hadn't started reading yet, and just had the book in my lap. Rita came over and kept shoving the cover open with her nose. She's never done that with a book before, so she must have thought it looked (or smelled) good!
So far, it's a very interesting story, co-written by Tom Sullivan and Betty White, called "The Leading Lady: Dinah's Story."

Remember when I told you all about our night at the Gala of Hope, and how the famous blind entertainer, Tom Sullivan, was the keynote speaker? I mentioned that he told a story of a guide dog he had, Dinah, whose eyesight was failing when she got older so she suddenly signaled that she couldn't "work" for him anymore. However, she was terribly depressed about it - almost to the point that he believed she was trying to commit suicide by not eating. Well, he told his good buddy, Betty, about the problem, and said he was distressed to think he might need to re-home her. And Betty, without giving too much thought to the matter, said she would take Dinah.

I'm only a little ways in, but it's a good read so far, told in alternating chapters by Tom and Betty. I especially love the chapters written by Betty, as she's so funny. I just hope it won't have a sad ending!

So... did you think from the headline that (in a moment of shameless plugging), Rita was going to be reading my books? 

Nope! 

The Grinch is reading my books, and he shall perform the shameless plug!
The Grinch loves a happy ending!
The Grinch says, "If you're still in the midst of looking for gifts, might I suggest books? And no further you'll look!" (Apologies to Dr. Seuss. Whom I once met!)


Also speaking of gifts....
(a) Have you checked out the Advent Calendar for Dog Lovers hosted by Kol’s NotesHeart Like a DogMy Brown Newfies, My GBGV Life & Bringing Up Bella? If not, check it out. There's a different giveaway every day - and you can go back and enter the days you've missed. As Koly himself would say, "Holy Woof!" - there's a lot of great stuff you can win. 

(b) Have you entered my giveaway yet?? If not, you have until 9 eastern time, Tuesday. Go! Enter! Find out who wins on Wednesday!

Thanks to Snoopy’s Dog Blog, Alfie’s Blog, and My Brown Newfies for hosting Monday Mischief!

26 comments:

  1. oh the grinch! I am always reminded of Jim Carey whenever I see him

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds pretty interesting actually. I don't think I've ever heard a story quite like that. Certainly have never heard a story of a dog who might try to commit suicide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a marvellous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess Rita knew you were reading a good book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi <3
    I think Rita already read that book when you were sleeping :-)
    *waggy tail*
    Love Stina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh a dog that commits suicide , that is so interesting :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did the same this weekend, although it was raining Saturday, Sunday was nice enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a good book. Well all three are good books actually.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We will have to look that book up!
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Betty's book sounds like a good one. I'm interested in hearing how you like it when you're done. :)

    Oh that Grinch! I love your homage to Seuss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Grinch character! Most of the ornaments on my tree are Lenox Grinches. John gets me one each year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom and dad loves books as well. Super Christmas gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i thought you were going to confess that you read to Rita the way I sometimes read...oh, nevermind. Enough people think I'm weird without looking for more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. :-) You met Dr. Seuss? oh em gee! Also, I have something in common with the Grinch today. Hint: It's not greasy banana peels.

    ReplyDelete
  15. great books! I am a big reader but im not so fond of the ones that make you sad! lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom is still reading your book and loves it but doesn't have the time to finish it. We love the grinch, so that is a good plug in our opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That book sounds very good, but I do hope the ending is not sad (let us know). Good thing you had the Grinch on hand since Rita wasn't going to do it. We do know she was a bit miffed because she wasn't on the cover, so it's not surprising! :)
    Oh, and thanks for rubbing it in about sitting outside. Not.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Jackie

    I think Rita actually wanted you to read the book out loud to her! :)

    I hope you're having a fun day,

    Your pal Snoopy :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha! I love the Grinch plugging your book! Very clever and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. lol, love it. I hope the book doesn't have a sad ending too. Cute grinch and great plug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maybe Rita wanted you to pay more attention to her instead of the book. Beamer does that too when I'm doing homework. Bugger.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've heard of dogs being depressed about not being to work but not about them being suicidal! I hope she found fulfillment with Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a good read...but I hope it has a happy ending too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My first shepherd, Isis, used to read with my in the backyard by wiping her dirty soccer ball across the pages of my books.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Please remember to tell us how the book is when you've finished. I have a hard time reading books about animals that end sadly. And the Grinch is a great choice to plug your book. He's very hard to please.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments - even just a smiley face or a LOL will make my day. (Yes, my days are pretty easily made.)

PLEASE NOTE: Comment moderation is turned on for posts over 2 weeks old, so if you comment on an older post and don't see it show up right away, that's why.