December 22, 2013

Monday Mischief: Something's a Little Fishy Around Our Christmas Tree

Last week, I decorated our tree. Usually it's just a hodgepodge of ornaments collected over the years, but this year I decided I wanted to have a "dogs at the beach" themed tree, so I ordered some sand dollar ornaments and starfish, and I made some ornaments using shells. Then I decorated the tree with blue/turquoise ornaments, dog ornaments and all the shells. 

I thought it came out very cute and couldn't stop looking at it. Rita, on the other paw, was interested in it for other reasons... cuz it smelled like the beach.


I showed her one of the starfish, she checked it out, and then left it alone - as she does with all things that aren't hers. (She's mostly a very good girl and knows what is hers in the house and what's not.)

Well, that night we were watching TV, and I heard some commotion behind me where I was sitting on the couch. I turned to find this:
Mr. Fishy... How did you end up on the floor??
And this: (sorry about the blurriness, but she was all amped up, and I just had my phone)
"Play with me, you wonderfully smelly thing you!"

And this:
The innocent look...
Luckily she has only "attacked" the starfish on the tree another time or two, and has not tried to eat them - even when left home alone with the tree!


In a round of "turnabout is fair play," I got up to some mischief myself with a gift bow from an early Christmas present Rita got:


And Now For a Bit of Following Up...
I hope you don't mind if I cheat and do a quick "Follow-up" post here. I know that's supposed to happen on Fridays, but I was too darn busy last week with Christmas prep and didn't have time, and this week is more Christmas madness, so I don't think I'll be online much. I'll keep it quick(ish)!

Meet the Bloggers
First, I just want to thank all the co-hosts again, because that was a really fun hop. I'm behind and wanted to read everyone's but there were so many! Congrats on a successful hop! It was fun to SEE/meet a lot of you! Now... to answer questions on my post:

Taryn of A Tail of 2 Cardis asked, "How tall are you?" I'm 5'11". Thank heaven I met the 6'2" hubby. (I dated a guy who was 5 inches shorter than me all through college. Terrible for my posture!)

Pamela from Something Wagging said I was "not too wordy. You're not wordy enough. Now I want to hear the rest of the Bermuda story. What the heck made you move there?" I was about 2 years out of college and working at an accounting firm in San Diego, when my best friend there got laid off. She found out the same firm was hiring in Bermuda and moved there. She called me and said, "There are 10 men here for every woman." I said, "I can be on the next plane." I lived there, working as an accountant, for the next 7 years. I met the hubs my second day there. (My friend had already told me on the phone, "I met this super cute French Canadian guy!" So, I already knew he would be cute before I ever met him.)

Pet Bloggers Gift Exchange
I just wanted to thank Jan again for the lovely gift she gave me: this blog post here. It's funny, because we have so much in common that we even wrote similar posts about how we were probably separated at birth. (You can read mine for her, and see Rita singing, here.) And I think we were writing them at exactly the same time. I emailed her to ask if I could steal photos off her blog, and she replied that she was just about to email me the same question.

Thanks for letting me be mischievous and add Follow-Up Friday onto to my Monday Mischief post! 


Question: If you put up a tree, do you decorate it with a theme?

Thanks to Snoopy’s Dog Blog, Alfie’s Blog, and My Brown Newfies for hosting Monday Mischief!

42 comments:

  1. What a nice starfish. I think I would have jumped onto that opportunity too. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't smell like anything to me, but you pups have better noses than we do!

      Delete
  2. Ditto us too. Have a marvellous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. There isn't a living creature in the world who can look more innocent than a dog. We wish you a wonderful Christmas and a very happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true - they have that "what, me?" look down! Years of practice behind that look!

      Delete
  4. Rita knew the bow was coming and was getting back at you ahead of time...lol. Beautiful tree. Love the idea of a beach themed tree. Our tree at home is mostly glass ornaments (some from my mom) but the one at our cabin has a hunting or woodland theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, 5' 11" does qualify as tall! You never had to torture your feet with spike heels ;-)

    Bermuda is a tiny place for 7 years! Did you travel off the island a lot?

    We have two themes on our tree....Lenox Grinches and all things corgi/cardi including lots of photo-holding ornaments. It looks pretty much like a mish-mash...oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't go over 3" on heels, or then I'm taller than the hubs! It's been hard to buy heels these last few years though because they're all so spikey!

      Would love to see your Lenox Grinches & corgi tree!

      Delete
  6. Our tree has a snowflake theme, along with a few other things. Yours is beautiful! I hope Rita resists temptation for the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds lovely! I hope so too! (She's usually pretty good...)

      Delete
  7. I love the theme trees. So great (too bad someone wanted to eat some of it). I admit I also love the hodgepodge tree. My mom has given me an ornament every year of my life, so I have some great ones that mean so much. This is why we ended up with 2 trees! Merry Christmas, Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some old ones that are very special as well. That's a nice tradition with your mom. I saw your 2 trees on your blog - very nice!

      Delete
  8. I love your tree. And apparently Rita loves the starfish. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my tree too! I'm so happy with how it came out. Might have to start collecting more sea-themed ornaments!

      Delete
  9. Ah, smelly things are the best when you're a dog. It's a good thing she didn't eat it. But oh, the revenge of a big red bow. Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this weekend the grandgirl stayed with us...thank goodness cos she probably saved our moms life anyways she got to open your tin of peppermint paws a little early. We are taking the rest of them, wif us to Christmas Day to share with the other kids! Mom is loving your book!
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your blog post - yes, it's a good thing the grandgirl was there!! Not sure peppermint paws are a sufficient reward for saving mom's life - but it's a start. :) Glad you are loving the book!

      Delete
  11. Oh I can see how this happened!

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I knew i was treading on thin ice putting fishies on the tree - at dog-level.

      Delete
  12. Love you beachy tree! Check out our post today to see our Garfield tree.
    hugs
    Bailey, Hazel & Greta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Your Garfield tree was cute! And a surprise at a house full of pugs!

      Delete
  13. I love your theme tree. It looks terrific! I bet it smells so inviting ... ;) And thanks for telling us the Bermuda story, I was wanting to hear it too! Merry merry, and have a terrific week. Meghan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily we can't smell the fishy parts.. just the pine-y parts. :)

      Delete
  14. Good dog or not, I think there are just some smells dogs can't resist exploring more fully. With our puny noses and weak sense of smell we will never know why. Have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm glad I have that weak sense of smell! The things she finds the most fascinating are things I don't really wanna put my nose on!

      Delete
  15. We barely have enough ornaments to decorate one tree... let alone develop a theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a ton of ornaments from making them/getting them as little stocking stuffers over the years!

      Delete
  16. Your tree came out very pretty. Starfish are to dogs like catnip is to cats, I think. You may not remember, but one time when Bailey stayed with us, she grabbed the starfish out of my bowl of favorite sea shells and was running around the house looking for a place to stash it. And now I often find Reggie looking longingly at that same starfish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny. I did not remember that story about Bailey! Cute.

      Delete
  17. Love the tree, so appropriate for SD. Rita! I'm surprised at you...careful, Santa is watching.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw your tree on Facebook and think it is just too ingenious! So creative and different, I love it! I also adore that photo of Rita! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My Basset would definitely smell the starfish! He'd have probably eaten it though. I love your follow-up story too! I decorate my tree with ornaments through all of the years. The first one every year is the "Our First Christmas Together 1980" bell. This year, my daughter bought one for her & her new husband's first tree. I love traditions! : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh no! Rita is such a funny dog :) Love your tree, I've never done a theme on mine. Just the hodge podge of ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have a Merry Christmas! Love the bow on Rita's head, but it doesn't look like she appreciates it much! That Bermuda story is a good one too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful tree, I love your themed idea. I actually was thinking about doing that next year already. You know decorations go on sale after xmas so i have to be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your tree and Rita is too cute with that silly bow on her head!! Have a very Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can see how an ornament that smells like the beach would be intriguing.

    I don't do a theme per say....although this year it was very simple and I find it looks quite elegant when it's lit up. :-)

    Merry Christmas to all of you at Pooch Smooches!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. And thank you again too! I was writing my post the same day you posted yours....I already had notes about things we had in common. Whenever I read your post, it was just too unbelievable!!
    I sometimes do a theme tree when I'm putting up a smaller one, I love your beach theme (and apparently so did Rita).
    I love Rita with the bow....since I get that exact same expression when I put anything on my dogs!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments - even just a smiley face or a LOL will make my day. (Yes, my days are pretty easily made.)

PLEASE NOTE: Comment moderation is turned on for posts over 2 weeks old, so if you comment on an older post and don't see it show up right away, that's why.