August 18, 2013

Monday Mischief: More Puzzling Mischief

Remember when I posted that Rita was puzzled by her puzzle toy (except she'd pull the pieces out with ease when there were NO treats in it)? Well, I tried a technique that SlimDoggy suggested and put the pieces in upside down so she could grab them easier.
"Well, heck, this is easy."
That went a bit better.
One down!
And we also tried this variation:
"Hey! I thought I emptied that hole!"

There was still some sitting and staring, though. Seriously?? If you enlarge this, you can see there's a treat just sitting in the open. I guess she wanted me to fetch it for her! (Mischief!)

After some coaxing, she got another piece out. Then, she resorted to cheating, using what I call the "anteater technique." (Again, I call "Mischief!" on the cheating!) She'd just shove her tongue into the hidden compartments and try to schlurp out the treats.
"Schluuuurp!"
Since that was not a completely successful tactic, she finally finished the puzzle
"Oh, all right. If I have to do it the old fashioned way..."

And she got to hoover up all the treats.


But then there was some additional mischief, since she just wanted to chew on the puzzle pieces!
"This is how this game is really played!"
She even brought one in bed with us that night to chomp on, which looked like this:
"Chomp, chomp, chomp!"

Happy Monday Mischief!
Thank you to Snoopy’s Dog Blog, Alfie’s Blog, and My Brown Newfies for hosting!

20 comments:

  1. Hey Rita - I don't think schlurping is cheating! ;) You saw Shiner's attempt at one of these today. She's mastered it now after practice but she had no interest in it whatsoever at first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just give us the treats we say. Have a marvellous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda think Rita doesn't much care for the puzzle... LOL She's no dummy. Without the lid thingies the puzzle is sorta useless. Jeffie is very impressed with her tactics ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you tried our trick...too bad it didn't work out so easily, but seems she got it in the end. I think she just needs practice ;) at least that's what Jack suggests all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rita seems to think working for a treat is a bad idea all around . LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why solve the puzzle when you can get Mom to do it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha, that toy looks great! That's what I would be like to my humans - "you put the treat there, you can get it out."
    woof,
    Pippa :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think some dogs must wonder why we go to so much trouble to challenge them when it would be easier just to give them a treat. Other dogs seem to love the challenge more than the treat. That's why dogs are so interesting to us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a smartie, figuring out how to cheat and get to the treats easier. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since we don't really have a nose it may be harder for us to do this.
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a puzzle that I am not real interested in either. I prefer if Mom just hands me the treats. I have also chewed on the pieces which I guess is not allowed. Good for Rita figuring out a short cut, even if it is cheating!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like a fun puzzle to keep pups busy. I guess you need to supervise the dogs so that they don't eat the puzzle pieces after they eat the treats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She always gets me when she just stops and stares at it. I think she's just in disbelief that you have the gall to keep putting treats in there when she knows full well that you could just hand them to her. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am all too familiar with the anteater technique. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL - that is too cute. I've thought about getting one of these puzzles. We have herding dogs - they're super smart - let's engage their mind. But their first puzzle treat toy was taken apart, and the second. So every time I see the one you have (or something similar), I'm tempted, then remember our other toys :(

    At least they had fun and it did take them a while to figure out how to take them apart.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL Oh Rita!! No chewing on puzzle pieces, you won't be able to play anymore. Or maybe that's your plan. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  17. You do have to give her credit for figuring out the easy way to do it, even if it was cheating. How's she supposed to know that chewing on the pieces isn't part of the game either? I think dogs thing all toys are made to be chewed on! :)
    The last photo was too funny....!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha Rita, that would be me too!! Though I have to say I think your Mom is lacking in the actual proof that you were eating in bed, cos I can't see you doing it! Tee Hee - Remember, just plead innocent, she's got nothing on you! It 'could' have been someone else! :)

    Wags to all,

    Your pal Snoopy :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments - even just a smiley face or a LOL will make my day. (Yes, my days are pretty easily made.)

PLEASE NOTE: Comment moderation is turned on for posts over 2 weeks old, so if you comment on an older post and don't see it show up right away, that's why.