February 28, 2013

Mirth Watch Thursday: Your Doggy Doppelganger

Do you have a doggy doppelgänger? Or maybe your dog has one?

I started thinking about doppelgängers the other day when one of my fave blogs, I Still Want More Puppies, posted a link to the "2013 Oscar Nominees and their Animal Doppelgängers". You should really check that link out (I think my fave is Tommy Lee Jones = Grumpy Cat, but there are other funny ones as well.)

Anyway, it reminded me of two things:

1) I once noticed that my friend's angel dog, Max, had a puppy pic that looked exactly like Ron Swanson (a hysterically gruff character on Parks and Rec, played by Nick Offerman). Am I right? Since Ron really likes meat, and Max did too, they were even somewhat of a personality match.

2) There is a web site that lets you find your doggy doppelgänger, appropriately called: Doggelganger. It's from Pedigree and the New Zealand SPCA. The tag line is: "Human to canine pairing software. Your best friend search starts here."

It's fun to play with. You're supposed to be able to add your own image either with your web cam or by loading a picture, but I couldn't get the web came image thing to work. So, I loaded a photo. (They say to load one with a neutral image - but, other than Ron Swanson above, most people smile when you point a camera at them.) Anyway, first I loaded my b&w "author photo" and I got a 62% accuracy match with this adorable 7 mo. old female Mastiff/Greyhound mix.
 

I also tried a color photo - but I guess I look a lot older in this picture since I got a 67% accuracy match with this sweet 12-yr-old Fox Terrier mix: (at least she's a fox....)

I do have the same worry wrinkles as both of these girls, so I think they did a pretty good job. It's a fun thing to play with - so hopefully the NZ SPCA is getting a lot of local folks on the site who then find their new best look alike friend!

I also looked up doppelgänger for this post - I thought it just meant "a look alike", but the actual definition from Miriam Webster is "a ghostly counterpart of a living person". Ghostly... hmm. So Tommy Lee Jones = ghostly Grumpy Cat I guess. 

Anyway, go have some fun and find your doggelganger.

24 comments:

  1. LOL! Apparently, I look like a 2 year old male Huskie....59%.....

    Fun app!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a cute way to promote adoptions. Those New Zealanders are very creative. Aren't they also the folks who taught dogs to drive to promote shelter adoption?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was the same folks who taught those dogs to drive. Love those driving dogs! Very creative people.

      Delete
  3. I love it! I'm almost afraid to check mine though....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! It's fun! Besides - all dogs are cute, right, so it can't be bad!

      Delete
  4. Hm. I'm going to play with this site, but I don't think they did a very good job choosing your dog twin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's tough to get everything lined up properly. I might look for a different program, since the concept is a fun one. Or maybe a program that will remove my eyebrows ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an easy enough time lining up my photos, but couldn't manage to line up my actual face on the web cam!

      Delete
  6. you are soooooooo silly! You do NOT look like either of those dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun...I saved the link till I can find a photo to use...I don't think they did the best match for you either, but it's fun to play

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, they've got a limited pool of pups to work with, since it's the pups up for adoption. I'm not sure what dog I would *really* look like... maybe an Afghan hound!

      Delete
  8. Good stuff! I'll have to give it a try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your pictures and your doggelgangers!
    Apparently I'm a mutt---Medium cross bread, 69%

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is too much fun and such a great way to promote adoption! I love creativity like this. Sadly, I cannot access it from my current computer but will have to check it out when I get home. I am looking forward to finding out who I am paired with. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, isn't it a great idea for promoting adoption? They should do this in the US.

      Delete
  11. Oh. My. Dog. I have got to try that! How fun!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments - even just a smiley face or a LOL will make my day. (Yes, my days are pretty easily made.)

PLEASE NOTE: Comment moderation is turned on for posts over 2 weeks old, so if you comment on an older post and don't see it show up right away, that's why.